Most heating systems will make some noise when they are in use. However, when your furnace is making noises that it has never made before, or if the noise is excessive, it could be a sign of a problem. We recommend that you address unfamiliar noises immediately by reaching out to one of our certified technicians at Oxbow Heating & Cooling in Gresham, OR, for a heating repair Portland.
Here are some common furnace noises and what they could mean:
- Clanking: A clanking noise from your furnace could indicate that something is loose inside the unit. This noise could be a loose screw, bolt, or something more serious, like a broken component.
- Banging: A banging noise coming from your furnace is usually nothing to worry about and is caused by the expansion and contraction of metal parts as the furnace heats up and cools down. However, if the banging is excessive or accompanied by other strange noises, it could be a sign of a more serious issue.
- Hissing: If you hear hissing coming from your furnace, it could be because of a gas leak. If you suspect a gas leak, evacuate the premises immediately and call one of our professionals to take a look.
- Squealing: If your furnace starts squealing, it could mean that the blower belt is loose or needs to be replaced. It is a relatively easy and inexpensive repair, so you do not need to worry if you hear a squealing noise from your furnace. An easy solution is tightening or replacing the belt to resolve the issue or do your HVAC repair Portland OR.
- Humming: A humming noise coming from your furnace is usually nothing to worry about and is simply the sound of the blower motor running. However, if other strange noises accompany the humming noise, it could result in a more severe problem.
Actions To Take When You Discover A Noise From The Furnace
When you hear an unfamiliar noise from your furnace, it is always a good idea to shut down your system first. After doing so, you can investigate to see if the issue is something you can easily fix. However, while many of the noises may be simple to fix, it is better to call one of our professional heating technicians since they will be able to quickly and correctly identify the source of the noise and make the necessary repairs or HVAC contractor Gresham OR.
If you are in Gresham, OR, and unsure about the noise, consider scheduling a heating repair with Oxbow Heating & Cooling. We will be able to help you diagnose the problem and find a solution that works best for you so that you can have peace of mind knowing that your furnace is in good working order. We understand that a broken heating system is never convenient, which is why we offer 24-hour emergency heating repair services. Whether you have a repair for a noisy furnace or need a new heater installation in Gresham, OR, and surrounding areas, we will be there when you need us. Contact us today to schedule a service!