Furnace short cycling is when your furnace repeatedly turns on and off quickly without heating your home to the desired temperature. A short cycling furnace would cause an increased probability of your home not being appropriately heated, which can be very frustrating – especially during cold winter months! To avoid this, you’ll need to schedule a heating service before winter hits. If you live in Portland or surrounding areas, Oxbow Heating & Cooling has qualified professionals to assist with any kind of heating services Portland.
There are a few different reasons that your furnace may be short cycling, which include:
- Thermostat problems: If your thermostat is not calibrated correctly, it may cause your furnace to turn on and off more frequently than usual. Check to see if your thermostat is set to the correct temperature or has batteries that need to be replaced.
- Dirty air filter: A dirty air filter can restrict the airflow to your furnace, causing it to overheat and turn off prematurely. To prevent this, check your air filter monthly and replace it as needed.
- Leaking ductwork: If your ductwork leaks, it can cause your furnace to short cycle. Leaky ductwork can also cause your furnace to run less efficiently, increasing your energy bills. Ensure that your ductwork is properly sealed and insulated to prevent heat loss.
- Incorrectly sized furnace: If your furnace is too small or too large for your home, it may turn on and off frequently to maintain the desired temperature. This can cause significant wear and tear on the unit, so it is essential to have a professional at Oxbow Heating & Cooling inspect your HVAC repair Portland OR or furnace to ensure it is the right size for your home.
- Limit switch issues: A limit switch is a safety device that tells the furnace when to turn off. To check for a defective limit switch, locate it and test it with the multimeter to avoid the furnace turning off prematurely.
- Blower motor issues: If the blower motor is not working correctly, it can cause the furnace to overheat and turn off. To check the blower motor, ensure there is power going to it. Then, use a multimeter to test the continuity of the motor winding.
If your furnace is short cycling, it is important to have it checked by a professional. Contact Oxbow Heating & Cooling for HVAC contractor Portland OR. We will inspect your furnace and make necessary repairs to keep your home comfortable all winter.
Schedule For Quick Furnace Repair
Oxbow Heating & Cooling has been helping local homeowners and businesses with their heating and cooling service for over 30 years. We understand that furnace problems can happen anytime, so we are available for 24-hour emergency AC repair Gresham or service. Get in touch with us for a comprehensive heating system service so we can identify potential issues before they cause problems. Our experienced technicians will come to your home to inspect, clean, and test your furnace to ensure it runs efficiently and safely. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for a heating replacement in Gresham, OR, and the surrounding areas. We’ll have your furnace up and running in no time!